I know I’ve told this story before, but my abusive ex refused to let me take birth control. I was on the pill until he found them in my purse.
I went to the Student Health Center—they were completely unhelpful, choosing to lecture me about the importance of safe sex (recommending condoms) instead of actually listening to my problem.
Then I went to Planned Parenthood. The Nurse Practitioner took one look at my fading bruises and stopped the exam. She called in the doctor. The doctor came in and simply asked me: “Are you ready to leave him?” When I denied that I was being abused, she didn’t argue with me. She just asked me what I needed. I said I need a birth control method that my boyfriend couldn’t detect. She recommended a few options and we decided on Depo.
When I told her that my boyfriend read my emails and listened to my phone messages and was known to follow me, she suggested to do the Depo injections at off hours when the clinic was normally closed. She made a note in my chart and instructed the front desk never to leave messages for me—instead, she programmed her personal cell phone number into my phone under the name “Nora”. She told me she would call me to schedule my appointments; she wouldn’t leave a message, but I should call her back when I was able to.
And that was it. No judgment. No lecture. She walked me to the door and told me to call her day or night if I needed anything. That she lived 5 blocks from campus and would come get me. That I wasn’t alone. That she just wanted me to be safe.
I never called her to come to my rescue. But I have no doubt that she would have come if I had called. She kept me on Depo for a year, giving me those monthly injections in secret, helping me prevent a desperately unwanted pregnancy.
I cannot thank Planned Parenthood enough for the work they do.
122835 Notes/ Hide
- ticklethetree reblogged this from alwayshereneverseen
- coracoidcommas likes this
- lilmissmisfit13 reblogged this from goobycakes-for-real
- espresso-pls likes this
- thehappydrumstick likes this
- everyoneistumblingintofandoms reblogged this from darling-ill-be-ok
- phoenixyfriend likes this
- mirrorswhisperandshadowssee likes this
- squirrellysquirrel reblogged this from bethbethbeth01
- palmtrees-and-80-degrees likes this
- lemongraves reblogged this from questionableliterarymerit
- lemongraves likes this
- questionableliterarymerit reblogged this from sapphireblues
- plagalbagels reblogged this from lets-have-a-ball-and-a-biscuit
- ohkissmelikeyoumeanit reblogged this from darling-ill-be-ok
- city-rooftops likes this
- swiggityswootybarakatbooty reblogged this from darling-ill-be-ok
- aylateagynrawling reblogged this from darling-ill-be-ok
- aylateagynrawling likes this
- shewaslostinthenegativespace likes this
- the-art--of-getting-by likes this
- turtleswithbenefits likes this
- fabulousunicornqueen reblogged this from alteringvisions
- theworldofldw reblogged this from darling-ill-be-ok
- not-the-canadian-average reblogged this from alteringvisions
- here-comesanother-fangirl reblogged this from darling-ill-be-ok
- wecanspeakobsession reblogged this from alteringvisions
- coojooy likes this
- counteverybeautifulthingg likes this
- alteringvisions reblogged this from darling-ill-be-ok
- landispute likes this
- terriblepunk likes this
- girasolqueen likes this
- gypsyxox reblogged this from kissesandlaughsandrisks
- highniggas4lyfe likes this
- thekidrager likes this
- w4rpedt0urr reblogged this from darling-ill-be-ok
- boners-exp0sed likes this
- darling-ill-be-ok reblogged this from carteracostaxxx
- darling-ill-be-ok likes this
- lets-have-a-ball-and-a-biscuit reblogged this from alittlepurpleelephant
- carteracostaxxx reblogged this from kissesandlaughsandrisks
- velaaqueprende reblogged this from kissesandlaughsandrisks
- velaaqueprende likes this
- finnishyourcheese likes this
- aprettyoptimisticpessimist likes this
- kissesandlaughsandrisks reblogged this from alyssavsthew0rld
- keetamines likes this
- chellefishes reblogged this from caoabunga
- luna-ecl1pse likes this