I know I’ve told this story before, but my abusive ex refused to let me take birth control. I was on the pill until he found them in my purse.
I went to the Student Health Center—they were completely unhelpful, choosing to lecture me about the importance of safe sex (recommending condoms) instead of actually listening to my problem.
Then I went to Planned Parenthood. The Nurse Practitioner took one look at my fading bruises and stopped the exam. She called in the doctor. The doctor came in and simply asked me: “Are you ready to leave him?” When I denied that I was being abused, she didn’t argue with me. She just asked me what I needed. I said I need a birth control method that my boyfriend couldn’t detect. She recommended a few options and we decided on Depo.
When I told her that my boyfriend read my emails and listened to my phone messages and was known to follow me, she suggested to do the Depo injections at off hours when the clinic was normally closed. She made a note in my chart and instructed the front desk never to leave messages for me—instead, she programmed her personal cell phone number into my phone under the name “Nora”. She told me she would call me to schedule my appointments; she wouldn’t leave a message, but I should call her back when I was able to.
And that was it. No judgment. No lecture. She walked me to the door and told me to call her day or night if I needed anything. That she lived 5 blocks from campus and would come get me. That I wasn’t alone. That she just wanted me to be safe.
I never called her to come to my rescue. But I have no doubt that she would have come if I had called. She kept me on Depo for a year, giving me those monthly injections in secret, helping me prevent a desperately unwanted pregnancy.
I cannot thank Planned Parenthood enough for the work they do.
53654 Notes/ Hide
- heartsisabella likes this
- saveanothermoment likes this
- tinglosweetchariot reblogged this from simple-like-a-mountain
- effin-and-jeffin likes this
- darkflame230 likes this
- kaitou-xi reblogged this from rgfellows
- littlemissbigshirley likes this
- demonfox38 likes this
- mihaelkeehl19 reblogged this from no-you-cant-have-my-url
- mihaelkeehl19 likes this
- no-you-cant-have-my-url reblogged this from killigannn
- filigree09 likes this
- killigannn reblogged this from homosexuhaul
- vivian-girl likes this
- simple-like-a-mountain reblogged this from finedineonmyvegangenitalia
- gowithstead likes this
- common-cunning-linguist reblogged this from rgfellows
- tooignorantforignorance reblogged this from riley-poole27
- riley-poole27 reblogged this from rgfellows
- riley-poole27 likes this
- evil-alien-chickens likes this
- wanderingquill reblogged this from rgfellows
- rgfellows reblogged this from eddeha
- makehastetolive reblogged this from badasshufflepuffinabluebox
- makehastetolive likes this
- p0ssessor likes this
- rambunctious-child reblogged this from phantasmagoricheavenlea
- remain-in-silence reblogged this from duckmaester
- meekasaurous reblogged this from wizziebean
- zeldatriforce24 likes this
- kurikoera likes this
- boredandintheway reblogged this from imargaery
- badasshufflepuffinabluebox reblogged this from fandoms-control-my-life
- fandoms-control-my-life reblogged this from duckmaester
- imargaery reblogged this from phantasmagoricheavenlea
- wizziebean reblogged this from icey-athena
- icey-athena reblogged this from duckmaester
- icey-athena likes this
- tally-the-barber reblogged this from currybuzz
- currybuzz reblogged this from velocipastor
- princessspock reblogged this from duckmaester
- mahiiroo likes this
- duckmaester reblogged this from something-undefined
- duckmaester likes this
- something-undefined reblogged this from pepsicolaker
- velocipastor reblogged this from abaddoninthebus
- waterbird13 likes this
- followthefeels reblogged this from abaddoninthebus
- ohthewhomanity reblogged this from phantasmagoricheavenlea
- ohthewhomanity likes this