I know I’ve told this story before, but my abusive ex refused to let me take birth control. I was on the pill until he found them in my purse.
I went to the Student Health Center—they were completely unhelpful, choosing to lecture me about the importance of safe sex (recommending condoms) instead of actually listening to my problem.
Then I went to Planned Parenthood. The Nurse Practitioner took one look at my fading bruises and stopped the exam. She called in the doctor. The doctor came in and simply asked me: “Are you ready to leave him?” When I denied that I was being abused, she didn’t argue with me. She just asked me what I needed. I said I need a birth control method that my boyfriend couldn’t detect. She recommended a few options and we decided on Depo.
When I told her that my boyfriend read my emails and listened to my phone messages and was known to follow me, she suggested to do the Depo injections at off hours when the clinic was normally closed. She made a note in my chart and instructed the front desk never to leave messages for me—instead, she programmed her personal cell phone number into my phone under the name “Nora”. She told me she would call me to schedule my appointments; she wouldn’t leave a message, but I should call her back when I was able to.
And that was it. No judgment. No lecture. She walked me to the door and told me to call her day or night if I needed anything. That she lived 5 blocks from campus and would come get me. That I wasn’t alone. That she just wanted me to be safe.
I never called her to come to my rescue. But I have no doubt that she would have come if I had called. She kept me on Depo for a year, giving me those monthly injections in secret, helping me prevent a desperately unwanted pregnancy.
I cannot thank Planned Parenthood enough for the work they do.
131117 Notes/ Hide
- like-a-maniac likes this
- that-weird-0ne reblogged this from cjthepixiegnome
- robinrobinsrobin likes this
- somethingontoast likes this
- themightywordsmith likes this
- themightywordsmith reblogged this from killer-on-the-c6
- cjthepixiegnome reblogged this from jennirose399
- jennirose399 reblogged this from ottomanfife
- ottomanfife reblogged this from highcontrastpredator
- killer-on-the-c6 reblogged this from highcontrastpredator
- highcontrastpredator reblogged this from thisisnotharmless
- kissingcrocodiles likes this
- tiny-leader reblogged this from 2jong2spooky
- penguin-lady likes this
- crawlerofrocks likes this
- saschhhaaafierce reblogged this from shaneraang
- shaneraang reblogged this from jar-pads-butt
- swimmiesofdoom reblogged this from ajax-daughter-of-telamon
- groovymonahan likes this
- dreamsandhopelesshair reblogged this from ihavehighselfesteem
- micawberr likes this
- implicitus-and-entangled reblogged this from leciec
- tidyheart reblogged this from peenguin
- forourhopesandourhearts reblogged this from cectiel
- namida713 reblogged this from maskinekate
- blvckxvxv reblogged this from leciec
- gyuseoul likes this
- crucia-airlines likes this
- goodmourningu reblogged this from immovingbye
- chezjenne likes this
- ubettersaydre likes this
- raedelataco likes this
- always-necessary reblogged this from tendernessandtreasuresxo
- samanth101 likes this
- warriors-staystrong likes this
- serenity-beginswitha-smile reblogged this from wilwheaton
- poorboy616 likes this
- caliwoods reblogged this from msvaginascience
- ohheyyyitshillary reblogged this from ithinkillnameitafteryou
- forlackofabetterusername likes this
- i-am-a-fangirl-i-cant-be-calm reblogged this from mark--butt
- muddykitten reblogged this from misandry-mermaid
- ilyadkins likes this
- blaquelotus likes this
- chillin-ontherooftop reblogged this from toasterwafflequeen
- toasterwafflequeen reblogged this from dontexplainthejoke
- dontexplainthejoke reblogged this from thatinsanefanficauthor
- eren-wants-the-d reblogged this from tardispin